If you are vegan, turn away now. I don’t want to offend you.
This post about the makeover of a set of antlers is the launch of my A to Z blogging challenge. Each day of April, Monday through Saturday, is assigned a letter. I will blog a subject beginning with that letter on that assigned day. I have a lot of great vintage subjects to chat about.
I’ve been wanting to work on this post for awhile now. Vintage Antlers! I have a few sets of these, and of course I have grand plans for them. I even have a whole Pinterest board dedicated to antler projects; being the procrastinator that I am, it’s much easier to Pin that it is to do. Well, I am finally going to bedazzle the one mounted set of vintage antlers we have.
We purchased this wooden charger plate at the Salvation Army. We tried to just glue, but ultimately had to attach with screws. The glue just didn’t hold.
First layer – I used silver spray paint. I think our gardener rolls his eyes every time he sees that I’ve been spray painting.
After the first layer of silver, I did a sweep of black – not solid coverage. After the black dried, I sprayed overall with water, then added more silver. The water gives a doppled effect. Great for planters too.
Here is a close up of the doppled effect the sprayed water creates.
Added a white wash on the plaque only.
Let the Glittering begin! I sprayed the tips of the antlers lightly with a 3M Adhesive, then used Martha Stewart’s silver glitter. This glitter comes in a shaker…..so awesome.
Well, I didn’t get the piece of leather attached, to cover the icky skull, but here is the almost complete bedazzled / glittered antlers hanging.
Tomorrow’s subject: Bauer Pottery. Be sure to come back and check it out.