Not too long ago I wrote a blog about estate sales, and a game that Jerry and I play. First one to spot John Wayne wins! We don’t really win anything other than being deemed WINner. One of my very nice Facebook followers read the post and took the time to respond back. She made the observation that in Jersey, the icon to spot is ol’ blue eyes Frank Sinatra. What legendary icon is the one to spot in your region?
Other than games to play, I do have a few estate sale tips:
1. Wake up early – Hell no! If you don’t rush to make the opening of the doors, then you can skip right past #2 below. There have only been a few instances that I’ve gotten up at the crack of dawn; unfortunately, it did not prove to be worth while. Regardless of how early you get there, there will always be a dealer that beats you to the sign up sheet.
2. Patience – If the preview pictures of the sale look good, be patient; it could be awhile before you get in that door. While you’re waiting don’t panic, not everyone is after the same treasure that you are.
3. Ikea shopping bags – yes, these giant blue bags actually are useful, but only if you remember to bring with you. Bring your big ol’ Ikea shopping bag and stuff that baby full. If you target kitchenware, like I do, be sure to throw a little bubble wrap in that bag too.
4. Don’t be cheap – chances are if you pick it up, and you’re trying to decide whether to buy it or not, you should tear out your wallet and buy it. First off, it’s probably only a few dollars, and second, you’ll be sorry when you arrive home without it.
5. If you are cheap – The final day of most estate sales is half off day.
6. Skip high prices – Not to be confused with #4, some estate sale dealers don’t realize, or just don’t care, that every person there is looking for the deal of a century. They mark their prices entirely too high, and don’t budge. Save yourself some time; make note of who the seller is, and avoid their estate sales in the future.
7. Where to find the sales? This should actually be number 1, but I debated on putting this in the post. Then again, anyone that is interested would just Google estate sale and find it anyway. So here it goes, http://www.EstateSales.net is my favorite place to find any, and all estate sales close to us. It gives you pictures, the address, whether you need to bring cash, or if they accept debit cards. This site I heart!
Happy Junk Hunting!!