Headboard Makeover – AH Crafty Challenge Reveal

The headboard makeover was quite a ways down my list, I was going to wait at least until after we move, but family consensus is that it should be done now. My first plan was to sew a simple slipcover to slide over the headboard, Jerry came up with a much better idea…..I’m glad he did. We went to Home Depot and bought some 2.5″ x .75″ x 8′ pine boards & wood screws, then off to JoAnn Fabrics for 2 yards of fabric. It was a fun project, everyone chipped in and helped out. I love how it turned out. Total cost for this headboard makeover was right around $40! Total time to make was around 2 hours. And when we get tired of the fabric, we can easily change it out.

***

What I did end up using:
Wood for headboard shell
Saw, drill, screws
2 Yards of Fabric (Full size bed)
Cotton batting
Staple gun
Glue gun
Vintage buttons

***

The Before….

AH Crafty Challenge - Headboard Makeover Before

AH Crafty Challenge –
Headboard Makeover Before

Jerry making headbaord shell

Jerry making headbaord shell

Making the shell for the headboard

Making the shell for the headboard

This shell slides right over the top of the headboard, nothing needed to attach it – Simple! This headboard shell could be made to cover up any ugly headboard out there. Cover it up long enough, and it just might come back in style.

Headboard shell is done, and used staple gun to cover with batting

Headboard shell is done, and used staple gun to cover with batting

 Once the wood shell was complete, Aniesha used the staple gun to attach cotton quilt batting to pad the new headboard.  My original plan was to sew the slipcover, but I scrapped that idea completely, and used the staple gun for the fabric too. If you go this route you have to be careful that your fabric pattern looks okay sideways.  The fabric we selected probably looks better the other direction, but it works. Once I stapled the fabric on, the back was left looking pretty ugly. I didn’t get a picture, but to cover the ugly staples, and raw fabric edges on the back of the headboard, I glued blue grosgrain ribbon to hide it all.

I love guns....staple guns & glue guns!

I love guns….staple guns & glue guns!

On the front of the headboard I measured off, and stapled where a button would be attached. This gives the tufted look without all the trouble. I dug around my vintage button tin, found five buttons to use, and glued them on. Yep, it never fails, I burned my finger. You can’t see the buttons well. Note to self….use bigger buttons next time!

It's done! AH Crafty Challenge Headboard Makeover. I love it!

It’s done! AH Crafty Challenge Headboard Makeover. I love it!

Once we move, I’ll work on making this room more cozy for Aniesha, but I’m loving how this project turned out. Super simple, and I am surprised at how inexpensive this headboard makeover ended up being.

xxoo Kris

 

7 thoughts on “Headboard Makeover – AH Crafty Challenge Reveal

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s