This week, my challenge was to make this $10 dresser shine. There, I finally got to say it. Yes, the dresser that was being loaded onto the Salvation Army truck, off to an unknown destination (probably the incinerator), was only $10. I knew there was potential; especially at $10. This is why I was sad when I realized my Mom and I wouldn’t be able lift it, to load it up and bring it home. Here’s the first dresser post, if you’d like to read about it.
When Jerry brought this thing home, all he could do was shake his head. He was certain this could NOT be the dresser I wanted.
BUT look at her now!
I worked on this little bits here and there:
1. Removed the ugly drawer liner with my new heat gun
2. Used the hand sander to sand the laminate top a bit, and clean up the dresser overall
3. I put a couple coats of oil based primer on the laminate top and on the dresser. The primer helps to seal in any old funk, oh, and a word of warning. I have a large kitchen / dining room area with stone floors, so I paint there. Warning, oil base primer is incredibly stinky…I think we all got a contact high from the primer before we moved it outside to dry.
4. Then painted the drawers white, and the other bits gray
5. I left the hardware as is
p.s. There is still some sticky left over from the drawer liner paper. I’m thinking I’ll just put a light coat of matte polyurethane to seal it up.
Check in Monday to see what my next weekly crafty challenge is. xxoo